HERKIMER COUNTY OFFICE FOR THE AGING
PRESS RELEASE-For Immediate Release
Contact: Nora Stever 867-1370
September 9, 2013
September is National Preparedness Month.
Here are a few tips on how to:
Prepare a Disaster Supplies Kit
Be ready if a disaster strikes by assembling a few supplies that are ready at a moment's notice. Store them in an easy to carry container such as a backpack or duffel bag. Be sure to include:
- A battery powered radio, a flashlight and plenty of batteries.
- A first aid kit, prescription medications, and an extra pair of glasses.
- A supply of water. Store water in sealed unbreakable containers, identifying the storage date and replace every 6 months.
- A supply of non-perishable food and a non-electric can opener, plus any special foods you require. Include peanut butter, crackers, granola bars, and other high energy foods.
- A change of clothing, rain gear, and sturdy shoes.
- A list of style and serial numbers of medical devices such as pacemakers.
- An extra set of car keys.
- Identification, credit cards, cash and photocopies of important family documents.
- Matches in waterproof container.
Please contact Herkimer County Office for the Aging or NY Connects for more information at 315-867-1415 or http://www.herkimercounty.org/; go to departments, then Office for the Aging. Or go to ready.gov/pledge.