HERKIMER COUNTY OFFICE FOR THE AGING
PRESS RELEASE-For Immediate Release Contact: Melissa Lanphier
Removing water-damaged materials and drying out the home as quickly as possible are the keys to preventing mold growth after a flood.
Other helpful tips are:
How do I know if there is a mold problem?
Mold can usually be seen or smelled. Mold may appear as slightly furry, discolored, or slimy patches that increase in size as they grow. Mold also produces a musty smell that may be the first indication it is present. The best way to find mold is to look for visible signs of mold growth or water staining, or follow your nose to the source of the odor.
Can mold in the home be cleaned up?
Yes, in some cases, but not all. Mold can be cleaned on hard surfaces, such as wood or concrete, by scrubbing area with a cleaning rag or brush wetted with diluted detergent. Disinfect with a solution of ¼ cup of chlorine bleach per gallon of water or a product that is labeled as disinfectant to kill germs. Laundry bleaches should not be used on materials that will be damaged or might fade. Don't mix cleaning products. A combination of chemicals can give off toxic fumes. Thoroughly clean and dry your house before trying to live in it and before making permanent repairs.
For more information you can call the Herkimer Flood Hotline at 315-547-3011, or go to their website at www.herkimerflood.org.
Or you can call Office for The Aging/NY Connects at 315-867-1415 or go to our website www.herkimercounty.org go to departments then Office for The Aging.