HERKIMER COUNTY OFFICE FOR THE AGING Page 1PRESS RELEASE-For Immediate Release Contact: Melissa Lanphier
July 8, 2013 Phone: 315-867-1415
Tips When Choosing a Home Contractor
· Beware of Unsolicited Offers - Avoid doing business with contractors who show up at your door or contact you by phone.
· Licensing Requirements - Make sure the contractor is licensed in your town or county.
· Get a Written Estimate - Obtain at least three written estimates, especially if it is going to be a big job.
· Get a Written Contract - Always insist on a written contract specifying all terms, timeline and breakdown of payments. Under New York State law, any home improvement contractor who fails to provide a written contract (for a contract over $500) may be fined up to $2,500.
· Do Not Pay Upfront - Do not make the final payment until all work has been finalized. Avoid paying in cash.
· Get Proof of Insurance - Get proof of the contractor's insurance coverage.
· Check References - Obtain local references from the contractor and check if they are legitimate; know what permits are required.
· Building Permits Requirements - Find out what construction and building permits are required in your municipality.
For more information on Hiring a Home Improvement Contractor, visit: https://www.dos.ny.gov/consumerprotection/.